Many of your questions related to our trails will be answered on our what to expect page, so we highly recommend you take look there. This page contains some additional Frequently Asked Questions that we receive about our site services and products.
About our trails
Can a large group of us do a trail?
Our trails work best for small groups of two to six people. All you need is one copy of the trail per group. Everyone will work better as a team and also makes for an affordable day out!
If there are more than six people in your group, no worries! Simply split your group into smaller teams and compete against each other. Please purchase an additional copy of the trail for each team. Firstly because it’s the noble thing to do (we’re a small business and work really hard to provide you with an affordable day out). And secondly, as our work is under copyright protection it’s also prohibited to copy our trails and distribute them to others – sorry! If there are more than 12 in your group (for example a school or club), you’re in for a great day as now you can add the element of competition! Please contact us for a large group discount. For more information, please read our terms and conditions.
Where can I download my trail?
You can download your trail any time from my account. You will also receive an order confirmation email which contains a download link of your purchase(s).
What software do I need to view the trail?
All of our trails are downloadable as PDFs (Portable Document Format). PDFs are a universal standard for distributing read-only documents. They can be viewed by any computer or smartphone device and printed by any printer. Almost all computers and smartphone devices come with a PDF viewer pre-installed. However, should you need a free one, we recommend Adobe Acrobat Reader, available for computers, Android devices from the Google Play Store, and iPhone or iPad from the Apple App Store.
Can I print multiple copies of the trail?
The short answer is no. Our trails are designed for non-commercial, single-use only and can be used by a group of up to six people (which we think makes our products incredibly affordable). If your group is larger than six people, or you wish to print multiple copies of the trail, please do the noble thing and purchase an additional copy. As our work is under copyright protection it’s also prohibited to copy our trails and distribute them to others – sorry! For more information, please read our terms and conditions.
Are the trails safe?
We’ve meticulously crafted our trails to make them both enjoyable and safe. However, as with doing… well anything, there are risks involved.
General risks involved are the same as when you might walk around any town or city such as: crossing roads without due consideration, injury from another pedestrian or vehicle driver, uneven surfaces, slippery surfaces, tree roots, obstacles, poor lighting and other causes of accidental slips or trips causing personal injury, falling into a river or canal, falling off a high pathway or obstacle, weather-related injuries including sunburn, heatstroke, dehydration, hypothermia, falling objects such as roof tiles, and injury, loss or damage of any kind caused by other people (to name just a few!).
We’ve made every effort to make our trails as accurate as possible, but mistakes do happen. We cannot be held responsible for any unforeseen circumstances that may arise. You are ultimately responsible for your personal safety and behaviour. Just exercise a little common sense (which you’ll need to solve the clues too) and you’ll have a great day out!
Do you have any tips for reducing the risks?
Yes! Please remember, as thrilling as solving a clue may be, staying safe should be your number one priority. A few things to bear in mind before and during the trail:
- Wear comfortable and grippy footwear
- Consider taking a day bag with any “trail detective” essentials e.g. a pen and paper, mobile phone, a bottle of water, snacks, suntan lotion and a hat (for if you’re fortunate), and a jacket (for if you’re not)
- Take care when crossing any roads and only solve clues once stationary on the pavement or in a pedestrian zone
- From time to time, parts of the trail routes might become inaccessible due to unforeseen circumstances (e.g. road works or flooding). If part of the trail becomes inaccessible, don’t attempt to access it. If safe to do so, find an alternate route around the barrier at your own discretion, and continue with the rest of the trail
- Most of our trails access public roads and spaces, however, trail routes do occasionally enter privately owned land with permissive access e.g. historic buildings, places of worship and gardens. Please be respectful and follow any conditions set by the landowners (e.g. to not enter certain areas due to building works, being quiet in cemeteries)
- Be aware of your surroundings and other people around you. In the very unlikely event of a dangerous or emergency situation arising, you must stop doing the trail and follow any relevant guidance below:
- Get your group away from immediate danger
- Ask other pedestrians for help
- Summon the appropriate emergency services
- Ask emergency services for guidance on your next step(s)
Why was my credit/debit card declined?
Security is very important to us. Either Stripe or Paypal will process your payment. If they think something could be wrong with a transaction, they will stop it. If your card is declined, please speak with your card issuer first to find out why your card was declined. If you need our help with the transaction, please contact us.
Can I have a refund?
At Killer Trails, we want to make sure you’re 100% happy with your purchase. Our policy offers a full, no-hassle refund within 30 days of your date of purchase. Please see our refund policy for more details.
I haven’t received a confirmation email?
You should always receive a confirmation email once your order has completed. If you do not receive this email, check your account information in my account to ensure the correct email address has been inputted. Also, check your junk/spam folders to ensure it hasn’t ended up in either.
Can I change my display image?
Yes! Our avatar system is powered by Gravatar. A Gravatar is an image that follows you from site to site appearing beside your name when you do things like comment on a blog. Head to your account details under “my account” for more information on creating a Gravatar.
Can I change my display name?
Yes! Head to your account details under “my account”.